A-B Towns | C-E Towns | F-K Towns | L-M Towns | N-S Towns | T-Z Towns | All Towns
Church Name: | Warooka Uniting Church |
Church Previous Name: | Warooka Methodist Church |
Denomination: | Uniting Church in Australia |
Street Address: | 26 Brentwood Rd, Warooka SA 5577, Australia |
Suburb: | Warooka |
State: | SA |
Postcode: | 5577 |
Foundation Stone Laid: | unknown |
Foundation Stone Notes: | No Foundation Stone or Memorial Plaque details are known. Information/photographs are invited. A foundation stone on the hall records: To the Glory of God - This stone was laid by - Rev C J Davis - 1st Feb 1959. Engraved on the upper front wall of the church: Methodist - Church. A street mounted plaque records: Mr John Chandler, of Flaxman's Valley, lessee & Mr James A Johnson, of Lindsay Villa, lessor, in September 1872 agreed to sell a portion of the leased land (Section 200, Hundred of Moorowie) for the erection of a Wesleyan Chapel, to be used for both religious and recreational purposes. - Built of swamp mud and stone with stringy bark rafters, and named Mount Hardwicke Chapel, it stood on a high rise on the Peesey Range. It was completed in March 1874, and officially opened on April 4th of that year. Other than private residences the chapel was the first public building in what would eventually become the township of Warooka. - The Chapel was used for local schooling until 1883 when the existing State school, which had been completed late in 1882, was ready to be used. - Although there was provision for a public cemetery at the abandoned location of the government town of Peesey Flat, approxiamately 2 kilometres east of the town, that site was considered unsuitable. The first recorded burial at the cemetery, adjoining the chapel, was in April 1873 when 24 year old Joseph Hill was interred. The burial ground served the district until the early 1960s when the present cemetery was established south of the town. - The current substantially constructed church was opened in April 1907 and then became Warooka Methodist Church. The memorial windows, commemerating local pioneers were dedicated in 1936. The tower at the front of the church was dedicated in March 1953 and construction of the local hall commenced in 1958. |
Date Opened: | 00-04-1907 |
Date Closed: | unknown |
Email: | admin@churchesaustralia.org |